For family caregivers of children with special needs, it may be time for self care in the New Year. With the perceived pressure that we must accomplish a year’s worth of work in less than a month, we’re stressed. And whether they can articulate it or not, kids are hypersensitive to our feelings, so they feel our stress magnified. So how do we bring the stress level down? Give yourself permission to let it go.
I know we are all busy and finding time to take care of yourself can be a challenge. But if you don’t take care of yourself, it won’t be long till you start to break down both mentally and physically.
Self-care is not a one-time deal, it the constant repetition of many tiny habits, which together soothes you and makes sure your equilibrium is stable emotionally, physically, and mentally. According to scientific research, the best way to reach your optimum is to implement tiny self-care habits every day. The following is a list of ideas of self-care activities you can fit into a short amount of time.
Self Care Ideas for the Mind
1) Be selfish: do something today because it makes you happy.
2) Mindfulness activities: take five to ten minutes of your day to body scan and become aware of your thoughts, feelings, and sensations. There are free mindfulness apps you can download on your phone.
3) Change your routine: mixing up your routine in small ways can create new neural pathways in the brain to keep it healthy.
Self Care Ideas for the Body
1) Exercise: any type of physical activity releases endorphins which are natural stress-fighters. Getting yourself into that exercise groove helps get your mind off the things stressing you out.
2) Oxygenate: take three to five deep breaths to help regain a sense of control and balance of your mind and body.
3) Narrow your food choices: Pick two to four healthy meal choices to rotate for the week.
Incorporating self-care activities in your daily life will help you keep in tune of your mind and body. You will feel more connected to yourself and the world around you.
Which one will you try first?